Friday, March 19, 2010

Primary colors...for cooking


I know, I know. More cooking stuff. I'll do gun stuff this weekend and change gears a little bit.

Cast iron is my all time favorite cooking implement. Real stuff or this colorful enamel coated stuff I'm showing off today. Its big, thick and heavy. It holds heat well. It transfers heat well. And it basically lasts forever. You could find a rust covered, banged up, 40 year old pan in a junk yard, give it some TLC and a cook a few pounds of bacon in it and it would last another 40 years. And 40 more after that.

These units are are great for anything. The blue and green were early anniversary gifts from my wife. I haven't even tried them out yet. The red one is my standard for pan roasting anything. The yellow does all my stews, soups and occasionally my red beans and rice from the other post. The blue one will be for deep fat frying and more soups and stews. The green one is kind of a do -all, catch-all. If you can cook it in a skillet, you can cook it better in that one. I'm looking forward to a big batch of chicken and 40 cloves or cheesy noodley stuff out of it. Details on that last one later.

And the best thing is, they're easy to clean. The baked on enamel is nonstick, doesn't have to be seasoned and can be run through the dishwasher, if your rack can hold up something that heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment