Monday, March 15, 2010

Its like 'Good Eats' but with weapons

My wife decided to start doing a day by day picture blog. It seems like an interesting concept, so I decided to try it out. But what to post? Well, I usually only get asked about 3 things. Taxes, food and guns. Taxes are no fun, so that leaves the other 2.

So, with that in mind.... I plan to post a picture, a tidbit about the picture and anything else I feel like I need to get out in the open. It could be a meal, prepared by myself. It could be a gun, usually one of my own, and usually custom built or customized by me. Sometimes both. Sometimes it will be someone else's work. Those posts will always be noted as such. The general plan is to post something from those 2 categories everyday. Or almost every day. Once a week maybe.


We'll start today with the gourmet side. I try my best to avoid eating fast food, especially for dinner. And with the lack of eating establishments in the area that only means one thing. Cooking! Thats now how my love of cooking came about though. It really came from my college years. Have you ever taken an accounting class? Well, I have. About 20 of them actually. 60 credit hours, give or take. Some of it was grad level. Thousands upon thousands of real class room hours. Trust me, you have to do something to get the numbers and formulas and Tax Code and GAAP and everything else out of your head. Cooking does that. Its an escape from reality for me, much like reading or cutting hay. But thats a different blog. You have to focus on what you're doing. Pay attention. Work some mojo in, you're own personal 'thing'

My first meal story is a simple one, maybe the most simple meal since Mac and Cheese. And thus far, my absolute favorite dish I've ever made.

I give you.... red beans and rice!



I know what you're thinking. "Red beans and rice? whats special about that?" Well, everything! Is there anything more simple? All the protein and nurishment you need to live, in one little bowl. The rice and beans get together and form a perfect protein, containing everything you need in this world. And its delicious on top of that.

Fresh veggies making up the perfect trinity of creole cooking. Select herbs and spices. Pickled pork. Yes, I said pickled pork. Its like bacon. But better. Pour it all over rice and enjoy. Its like edible art. Add cornbread if you really must. And I, usually, really must. I take pride in my cooking. I try to share it with friends as often as possible, wether they like it or not. This one has always been a big hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment